Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Notes on a "Genesis Party" (part three)

Streets of Rage!!!!





We may not need to have a genesis party at all. The goldmine that is Streets of Rage 2 is vast enough to shoulder the entire burden, I think. I am transfixed hearing this stuff. My mind is back to playing two player co-op with my brother: me, as the skating kid racing around excited, losing life after life after life, him as a burly man doing the real work of hitting even burlier men over the head with pool cues. Through the big windows, the sun's oranger, redder rays shine on us as a long Saturday afternoon turns slowly into night. We squint, close the blinds. On screen, a dance music breakdown that the Arthur Russell likers might even like, and a giant freight elevator taking me and my brother up to the rooftop layer of a very aggro boss. A moment of peace, a single lost instant before the beat began to build: he and I must have stood there, triumphantly alone, on the rising platform. Then on to the next episode...

1 comment:

nigel said...

Streets of Rage is the shit.
I always picked backflipping black dude that looked like someone club kid at the Wharehouse circa 1983.
Also, teaming up to flip your partner into an unwitting aggregate of identical street toughs was most satisfying and I wondered if Taylor and I were walking into danger, if we could have the skill to pull of that move in real life. Also, the music does kick ass. I think M83's first album really ripped it off.